Tuesday 1 September 2009

Running Log: Tuesday, September 1 2009

Garscube Jr.'s Training Night:

In an effort to meet the youth in the club (mostly 10-13 year-olds) and possibly take on a coaching role for one of the packs, I took part in their training session - a 'paarlauf'. I was surprised at how fast they ran and how hard they pushed. They started out the reps at what I judged to be 5.30/pace or faster! This pace slowed as the reps went on, but I couldn't help but notice the natural foot speed. If not for the strength of many years of running, I would have been left in the dust for certain.

5 miles in 31:30, average pace 6.15/mile (to and from Garscube estate)
3 miles (or so) of paarlauf, warm-up, drills, cool-down

1 comment:

Rachel Jayne Stevenson/Rogers said...

It was great to see you there on Tues night Ben. I am sure you will fall in love with kids coaching like I did. They are so inspirational, and when you see them bust a gut to do their best it really shows us oldies up!! The best is when you have been around for long enough to see them join, unable to make it to the gates without walking-progress through the packs, gaining confidence and fitness as they go! Aw shucks!