Monday 23 June 2008

West Highland Way Race

Two of my new mates, Marco and Debbie, competed in the WHW race this past weekend, and my mind has continually wandered to, and wondered at, this absolutely daunting task - all the more so after my experience of running just 23 miles along the mountainous, rocky trail (with an hours long break in between sections even), which left me broken, wasted, dizzy, and confused, thinking that the white spots floating around my field of vision were magically levitating and laughing sheep... or perhaps they were?

But Marco and Debbie were out there, in the rain, through the dark, all day, and possibly into the next nightfall, running not a measly 23 miles, or even 53 miles, but a discombobulating 95 miles! I am anxiously awaiting their results and full race report.

If your interest in the WHW race is also piqued, I encourage you to visit the race website and recommend in particular the short film featuring an ordinary bloke, Mark Hamilton, and his epic struggle to complete the race. Just click the link below and follow the "race community" and "runners videos" tabs:

http://www.westhighlandwayrace.org/

And see last week's post "My Heart was in the Highlands..." for some pictures from the WHW trail.
......................................................

Beer of the Week (B.O.W.): sadly, I only sampled one cask ale this week, at the Three Judges pub here in Glasgow - "Independence" from Inveralmond brewery (makers of "Lia Fail" and "Ossians Ale"). Although this pale seemed more suited for fall or winter - with its fuller mouth-feel and caramel notes, accompanied by a hop profile that was not floral but dried grass, not citrusy but resinous - it was a well-made beer. Pairing it with the West End Festival, Glasgow's great summer celebration (a Scottish flavored Mardis Gras), left me wishing I had ordered a "Bitter and Twisted" or "Tradewinds," but this was simply a matter of poor timing.

Whisky of the Week (W.O.W.): a tie between the "Oban" 14 year and the "Bunnahabhain" 12 year, sampled at our new favorite pub on Byres road - the Aragon - a warm mix of good beer & whisky, football fans watching the teles, and quality, live, acoustic music on Sundays. Now that's what the Germans call "Geborgenheit." The "Oban" was sweet and smooth with a burnt fruit and toffee flavor most prominent. The "Bunnahabhain" started out spicy and finished well with a warm vanilla sweetness.

1 comment:

Debs M-C said...

Hey Ben,
Thanks for thinking of us. It was definitely challenging, so I'm glad to say I did it. The challenge for this week is finding a pair of shoes that my feet can fit in to.
See you soon.
Debs