Wednesday 18 June 2008

May-June Race Report

This spring was an exciting time to not only test where my fitness was at after a long winter of training, but to also gain acquaintance with a fantastic new group of runners and races in my new "dear green place" of Glasgow and its environs. Special thanks goes to local endurance runner extraordinaire and new long-run partner, Gavin Harvie, and all the members of the Garscube Harriers who have accepted me into their club events, never failing to make me feel welcome - like an old mate.

My first week of practicing with the Garscube club included a fun 3k race combining the youth and adult members of the club. Here I am charging up the final hill:
Next on the racing schedule, I donned the Garscube Harrier vest in order to participate in the largest 10k racing series in Scotland - the Polaroids - consisting of four races, over four consequtive weeks, in the neighboring areas of Helensburgh, Clydebank, Dumbarton, and Vale of Leven. Although I was not able to run the final race in the series (the Scottish 10k road championship race at Vale of Leven) due to injury, I had a successful three races, steadily improving my 10k personal bests, running 33:37 (5:25/mile pace) at Helensburgh; 33:17 (5:22/mile pace) at Clydebank; and 33:05 (5:20/mile pace) in the downpour at Dumbarton. I was even fortunate enough to have the following picture (capturing my relaxed and carefree racing form!) printed in one of the local Glaswegian free papers for all to see:
I look forward to a summer of training and socializing with my new mates at Garscube. The focus has now turned toward Loch Ness marathon preparation, including an initial month-long training phase emphasizing speedwork (where I will get to relive my younger days of training for the 800 meter run) before moving onto a diet of heavy miles, long tempo runs ... and pancakes! The goal is to break 2 hours and 40 minutes on the fairly hilly Loch Ness course - goal marathon pace of 6:05/mile.

No comments: