Wednesday 30 July 2008

B.O.W.W.O.W.

Beer of the Week:
B.O.W. may become beer of the month, or da B.O.M., or bomb out altogether if I continue this trend of missing multiple weeks. In an attempt to make up for my inexcusable delinquency, I retroactively deem "Ptarmigan" ale from Harviestoun brewery the beer of a fortnight ago. Served from the cask at Oran Mor here in Glasgow, the Ptarmigan fit well with the season (as ptarmigans - the bird now - always do, seasonally camouflaged as they are) - golden, crisp hops, floral, spicy, smooth...

Beer of last week also comes from Harviestoun brewery, which has quickly become one of my favorites here in Scotland (alongside Cairngorm brewery). "Bitter and Twisted," consumed from cask at numerous pubs here in Glasgow, was one of the first brews I tried upon arrival in January, and it immediately became my go-to beer. Like most of the beers that have been showing up on B.O.W. this summer, Bitter and Twisted is a light, fresh yeasty, and hopped up ale with an emphasis on citrus and tart. At first it reminded me of "Gumball Head" - a must-drink beer from Three Floyd's. Very drinkable.

Finally, the beer of this week is "Arran Blonde" from the Isle of Arran brewery. Though there was talk of visiting a local pub on Arran to sample some on cask, we had to rush to catch the ferry back to the mainland, and I had to settle for enjoying, back home at the flat, the few bottles I won for the Arran relay race. Like the other ales in this entry, Arran Blonde is light, clean-tasting, with very sweet and floral (and again with the citrus!) hops.

Whisky of the Week: no data :(

No comments: